A Recipe - Cacio e Pepe
Ten minute pasta. You can't beat it.
This is another very simple pasta dish, this one can be very quickly perfected and essentially consists of a carbonara without the meat or eggs. For those under time constraints, this is perfect, as you can make this easily in ten minutes.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
Some Black Peppercorns
200g Pecorino, Parmesan, or Grand Padano Cheese
1 Tablespoon of Butter
Allegorical is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.
1. Put your pasta into a heavily salted pan of boiling water and cook it however long the packet’s instructions tell you.
2. Meanwhile, grate your cheese. Then, grind your peppercorns (quite a lot of them, too) and put them into a dry, hot frying pan over medium-low heat to briefly toast.
3. When the pasta is al dente (that is, tender but still with a bit of a bit), take a mug and scoop out some pasta water. Drain the pasta and leave it to steam for thirty seconds or so while you do the next step.
4. Melt the butter in the pan with the pepper over medium-low heat, then add the pasta with a little splash of the reserved pasta water. Toss the pan a little to coat it evenly, then remove from the heat and add in the grated cheese.
5. Like with the carbonara, stir the sauce constantly until the residual heat in the pan melts the cheese, adding more of the pasta water as necessary to emulsify the sauce.
6. Toss the pasta once more to ensure it is all evenly coated, then serve immediately with some freshly cracked black pepper and grated cheese.
If you would like to see more recipes and video tutorials, along with a new video each week and my two cookbooks for free, consider joining the Home Cook HQ, my online cookery course!
You can also view all of my cookbooks, courses, and everything else, on my website!
Until we speak again,